Disability access and special needs
Please give us ring us on 01647-252752 to discuss any special needs in connection with your booking. We are always happy to help.
The good points
- A step-free concrete path runs from the main car park to reception, around the Pound House, to the main chapel door, past the Pig Pens and Long Barn to a further concrete parking area behind the Long Barn.
- The downstairs of the Long Barn is fully accessible for wheelchairs, including a toilet.
- The Pound House is fully wheelchair accessible downstairs. The Dining Room and Cider Press are accessible from the main doors, but wheelchair users need to go outside and in through the end door to access the toilets, wet room shower and quiet room (because there are steps in the connecting corridor).
- The main chapel is upstairs, and has a stair lift to reach it.
- Tamworth Pig Pen is a fully accessible ground floor unit of accommodation with wet room and easy access to the Pound House and Long Barn.
- The two other Pig Pens also offer step free accommodation but have small wet rooms.
- Stephen's Lodge is our most accessible accommodation. It has level access throughout, a wet room with grab rails and seat, extra wide doors (3 feet) and the bedroom has a ceiling hoist to help guests who need it move from bed to (for example) wheelchair or shower chair.
- The Art Shed has level access inside and a concrete path from the car park.
- We have an ‘off-road’ self-propelled wheelchair available to borrow, which is much better on our woodland paths and gravel driveway than a standard wheelchair.
- We also have a shower chair available to borrow and use in any of the wet rooms on site.
- If you need any other specific equipment, we can put you in contact with a reliable local equipment hire company.
- At some points the main path connecting the rear of the buildings is steeper than 1:12.
- On the other side of the main buildings, paths are gravelled (rubber mat path can be laid out to reach Stephen's Lodge more easily).
- The medieval chapel has uneven steps with a handrail but no ramp.
- The Library is ground floor but the access path is gravelled.
- To reach the path to the Art Shed you have to cross the gravelled car park.
- The upstairs chapel has a hearing loop with one microphone positioned above the altar and the other to the side near where service leaders normally sit.
- Both rooms in the Long Barn have hearing loops with the microphones positioned in the centre of the ceilings.
- The installed loop systems are permanently on - please tell us if they are not functioning correctly.
- We also have a portable loop with microphone and "necklace" receiver - this is available to borrow from reception.
- We are very experienced at catering for special diets.
- Please make sure you give us full details at least 2 weeks before your arrival.
- Please read our catering and special diet page.
- Assistance dogs for guests with sight or hearing impairments are very welcome.
- Please be sure to tell us in advance so we can make sure we allocate suitable accommodation for you.
- If you wish to bring a carer with you please discuss the options with us. We may not have the perfect solution, but we have various possibilities that might work for you, depending on how nearby you wish to be and what your mobility needs are.
- There are some easily accessible places to enjoy the outdoors near to Sheldon. We have a wealth of maps and planned walks available at reception for inspiration too.