Sheldon and Coronavirus : FAQs re Covid-19
Last updated 23rd September
We have Sheldon set up to run in a simple, safe and sustainable way through the pandemic. If any changes in government regulations affect your booking we will contact you straight away. This week's changes do not affect Sheldon bookings. Short of complete national lockdown we expect all private retreats to continue uninterrupted. We have full precautions in place for the led retreats and R5 weeks. If there is any doubt about viability of these we will be consulting/informing 2 weeks ahead of arrival. With the information available at the time of writing we anticipate all 2020 events being viable.
Subscribe to our blog for news and updates
These are relatively straightforward for us to offer and we look forward to welcoming you as soon as you are able to come. Because there is more work involved in changeovers, we have increased the minimum stay length to 3 nights for Hen Runs and Pig Pens and 5 nights for Linhay Lodges. We are not guaranteeing any category of accommodation so only book a Lodge if you are willing to take a Hen Run or Pig Pen instead.
- With 2m distancing we can provide meeting and meals for groups of up to 10 people (a few more if it includes couples who can be closer together)
- Our revised summer and autumn listings are here.
- If in doubt, we will consult on each event 2 weeks in advance to check there are enough people sufficiently confident to travel. As at 1/9/20 all events are looking to be viable.
- Details of how we manage shared meals
Cell groups, etc
With no large group bookings, we have space this autumn that can work really well for small groups. Each of the three units comprises 4 or 5 bedrooms with its own large meeting room and kitchen. You could book one of these as a socially distanced cell group or an extended household bubble for example.
We have updated our arrangements for cancellations in the light of the uncertainties we all now have to manage. We want you to have the confidence to make a booking while having a reasonable framework for flexibility where needed.
Keeping Sheldon as safe as possible for those most at risk ...
Many of our guests are over 60, have underlying health problems or live with someone who is vulnerable. Their safety depends on all the less vulnerable guests being willing to take the additional precautions too - thank you!
On arrival there will be a welcome pack in your room with everything you need to know to help your stay go well.
- 2m distancing at least until at least the end of 2020 (review in January for February 2021 onwards)
- Facemask for everyone except the leader in reception, chapel and indoor meetings, queuing for meals/bar and any other shared indoor spaces (you can buy ours when you're here or bring your own with you)
Food and drink
- The Dining Room in the Pound House has a ventilator/extractor fan which is on at all times
- Sliding doors along the length of the room also ajar (when cold) or open (when hot) for air circulation
- Portable UVC-sanitiser unit
- Full details of serving meals here
- You will be given an email address and dedicated telephone number for contacting us during your stay to reduce the need to come to reception in person
- One guest/household at a time, and 'overflow' space in adjacent room if needed
- Numbers limited, service books provided for the duration of your stay and sign up in advance for a space
- Everyone except the leader wears a facemask
- We never sing anyway ...
Indoor group meetings
- Seats spaced out for 2m distancing - please use the same seat each time
- Everyone wears a facemask (but optional for the leader in consultation with the group)
- Excellent natural ventilation in the main meeting room, plus UVC air sanitiser (sorry, it is a little bit louder than ideal)
- Held in the largest and best-ventilated room available at the time - we may want to have a door/window open so wear enough to be warm
- Presumption of wearing masks, but can be dispensed with if both parties agree
Shared spaces (Chapel, Library, Art Shed, Guest kitchens)
- Responsible routine hand wash/gel by everyone
- Limit numbers according to signage to maintain distance
In case of illness
We have divided our community into 3 separate households so that if one has to self-isolate there are still enough people to run Sheldon
Please do not travel if you are unwell or self-isolating. If you become symptomatic during your stay please return home if you are well enough to drive and we will refund the balance of your stay.